Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Sweet Memories, Bittersweet Moment

We had many plans for possible activities for Memorial Day. We didn't really do any of them. We just hung around the house with everyone here (minus Jayme who was sick again) and enjoyed each others company, planted the garden and did yard work. Reed did another bike ride Saturday morning with the Teachers and Priests (boys ages 14-17) in preparation for their Oregon Coast bike trip. Zach joined them while the women folk stayed home and got things done around the house. Then the girls (plus Kayden) headed out for some quick shopping in Albany.
Monday evening, we picked flowers from around the farm and headed to the cemetary to visit my mom's grave. Keegan was very interested and helped with gathering the flowers. I chose to take some blossoms from the Snowball bush that had been at my mother's childhood home and transplanted here. A couple of years ago the main tree blew down after a huge storm and I was so disappointed, but it resprouted and had HUGE blossoms this year. We also took some blossoms from my Mom's favorite BRIGHT orange azalea and then some rhododendren flowers. Keegan asked lots of questions and as we talked at the cemetary, I told him that his Great-grandma would have loved him. Then Josh looked at me and said that he doesn't remember my mom. My mother died when he was barely 2. We moved to Oregon shortly there after. Reed's mom also died before Josh was born. Even now, I cry that Josh, who is so sensitive has had no opportunity yet to know his grandmothers. I think they would have loved him and been very proud of him. How grateful I am for the Plan of Salvation that helps me to know that families are forever. I know that Josh and Keegan will have the opportunity to one day know my mom.
(The following picture was taken a couple of years ago. I forgot my camera this year!)

3 comments:

Kris said...

Peggy I just can't tell you how happy it makes me to know you are a blogger and that you found me! I love you so much and think of you far more often than you will ever know. Now we can keep in touch so easily.
Thank you for the vote of confidence about my new calling.
I remember so clearly when your wonderful mother died. It was such a sad time. It is a sad thing that your 'little guy' doesn't know her. Your little guy is flying the coop? Remember when it was ME that had the nest emptying and you had a house full? Time marches on and now the house becomes full to overflowing when they return with their darlin's.
I agree...being a grandma is a great time of life.
Your family picture is great!

The Barton's said...

I too felt sad to think of Josh not knowing his grandmothers. But like you am so greatful for the plan of salvation. I loved reading your sweet post. I love you.

Grammy Staffy said...

I know what you mean Peggy. John's mom died when Lynell was 2 and Mindy was a baby. I was sad that they never knew her. My mom died when David was 10. He remembers her a little. My girls were all older and remember her pretty well. I never had a grandmother. I look forward to meeting some day hereafter.

I love being a grandmother. Each child is so special. David just had his 4th. I am here helping out for a little over a week. What a blessing... I have 2 new grandsons in just 2 months time.

Have a great week. (((hugs)))Lura