Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Refresher Course


I have had the wonderful opportunity lately to reconnect to dear friends, former Young Women, and people that have had an impact in my life. Some of these people I found by blog stalking, others I reconnected with when I joined facebook. I am not an addict. It has been wonderful to reconnect with these dear friends. Since many of them I have not seen or heard from in almost 20 years, they have requested an update on my life, so here is my refresher course. For those of you who are current with me, I apologize, but catching up with old friends and taking an inventory of my life has been a neat experience for me!!

We moved to Oregon 18 years ago at the death of my mother. It is hard to believe that we have been here that long. During that time, my kids grew up. Some have married and had kids, some are in school, some have fulfilled (or are about to fulfill) missions and currently they are all close by and I am very thankful for that! Reed and I own our own business. Some years are good, some are hard, but we always manage to continue on and we are doing great! We love living here on our farm. I love the peace and beauty of being away from town! We have had many church responsibilities. Reed has continued to serve in High Councils, Bishoprics and the Young Men's organization. We had the unique blessing of him serving as a Bishop of a student ward here in our area. We loved it and have a whole family of kids that are very near and dear to our hearts. Reed is currently the YM president in our ward. I have served as Ward and Stake Camp director, YW 's counselor and seminary. I taught seminary for 7 years and was the Stake Supervisor for 4 more years. I am currently the 1st counselor in YW. I love the youth and I hope I stay here forever!! The only difference is now I tell the girls and the other leaders that I am the "OLD LADY"!!

Our oldest, Jayme, is married and has an adorable little girl who is 7 months old. They currently live here in town by us. We love having them so close. They are trying to figure out the next steps in their lives. Whether is be work, school, a move, we don't know, but we are enjoying them while they are here!!

Jessica is currently finishing her 1st year of a 2 year Masters of Social Work. She graduated form BYU with a degree in psychology, then worked in her field in Provo for a few years. We love having her close by where we can see her. She is currently looking forward to her summer break before she starts up on her last year in the fall. From there, who knows!

Jackie, married with 2 children, lives in the Portland area. Her husband is a PhD candidate in Biomedical Engineering. They have a few years left on his program, so they will be close by at least until then. She has 2 boys, one who is about to turn 5, the other about to turn 2. She is expecting her 3rd and we are so excited for them, if she could just get over this sickness thing!

Josh, our youngest, is about to head out on a mission. He will be serving in the Oklahoma, Tulsa mission. We are all so excited for him. He had 1 year at BYU and plans to return there after his mission.

As the name implies, we are a Managerie! But we are very happy and feel so blessed especially by all those who have come to mean so much and had such a huge impact in our lives. We love you all!!

8 comments:

Mel said...

I was so glad to find your blog! When I had a calling in YW several years ago, I knew that if I could be half the leader you were then I would be doing okay. Now as my students talk about Girls Camp I think about you and this crazy picture I have of you up at the Camp in Big Bear with a flower in your teeth! Thanks for being so great!

Melody smith
melandamy.blogspot.com

Jen H. said...

What a great update. Sounds like life is good for everyone. Your mention of seminary and girls camp brought back very fond memories for me! And how I would have loved to have been in the ward when Bro. Glasmann was the bishop. Thanks for your great example over the years. We miss our good friends from Oregon and wish we were able to visit more often.

Love,
Jenny (Crow) Heyborne

Unknown said...

You're so awesome, I'm so glad you were a part of my YW-hood and seminary-ness. :D
I love you!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Peggy, Here I am again, doing my weekly blog stalking. I loved the update on your family because as I looked at the family picture of Mother's Day I couldn't quite figure out who was who, when you said it had been 18 years since you left CA, I didn't feel quite so bad about being confused. It sounds as though everyone is doing great. I'm so glad. I am serving in one of our Dixie College Wards here in St. George as a R.S. Advisor, I am really enjoying it. I've been in for a year and I'm finally learning everyone's name, it's been a challenge. My hat is off to Reed because I know those college ward bishop's have their hands full, in many ways. Well very fun to read about you and your family and a very cute family picture.

Grammy Staffy said...

Dear Peggy,
Thanks for the update. I am so glad that you found my blog and we can be back in touch. Has it really been 18 years since you moved? Wow... I thought it was more like 10. Time is getting away from me these days.

I am happy for the many accomplishments of your family. You and Reed have done a great job raising them and must be very proud.
I hope that we can keep in touch now that we have reconnected.
Have a great 3 day weekend.
Love, Lura
ps John says hello too.

Zach 'n' Jack said...

yes....yes you are an addict Mom :-) just ask Dad!!

Claire said...

Glad things are going so well!!!

Shannon said...

This may be my first time stopping by your blog. Great update. I can't believe that your kids are all grown up. It seems like just yesterday that I was making macaroni&cheese and fish sticks for them. Now they are getting babysitters for their own kids. My goodness. I too have great memories of you as a YW leader. When I was the YW president I organized a campout for the girls because I knew that was something you would have done. Thanks for being such a great example to me.