Friday, April 10, 2009

Another Temporary Cast

Well, we went to the Dr. today. It was probably a good thing I did not take my camera, but I got to see the incisions for the first time today. They are kind of gross and much bigger and more than I thought. It definitely explains why things hurt where they do! I did not get my stitches out. Things had not healed enough yet, so better to leave them in another week. I will definitely have some hefty scars on my leg and both sides of my ankle. Jackie says that I have been sliced and diced and that is sure what it looks like. YUCK! But beware, now that I know, I will take my camera next week!! So be prepared for pictures next week!!

Anyway, I am back in a new temporary cast. This one, instead of going 3/4 of the way around my foot and ankle is only splinted in the back. So they wrapped my leg in padded guaze, then applied the plaster casting to the back of my leg and under my foot. More padded guaze, then an ace bandage. This at least allows for not so painful swelling and it is easier to ice it because it doesn't have to go through layers of plaster and guaze before it hits the ankle!! It is also much lighter and smaller. Thank goodness!

So back to the Dr. next week to hopefully have the stitches out and a regular cast put on. Of course it will still mean 4-6 weeks of being in a cast and not putting my foot down, but I knew that going in. Then it will be another 4 to 6 weeks in either a walking cast or boot, then another 4-6 weeks to transition out of the boot and hopefully walking. At least the heel is now in the proper place (not off to the side) and he could flex my foot beyond 0 degrees!!

So the big question is - What color or colors should my cast be? I can have 2 or 3 colors. I can't decide if I should be bold and colorful and clash with everything or try to be inconspicuous and subdued. I will have to go to the temple with Josh while I have a cast on, but I figure I will cover it with something white regardless. Leave a comment and tell me what you think!!

3 comments:

Mel said...

I say go for it - three colors and clash! If you have to put up with it - the cast should be fun! I'm so glad Heather (Fortner) Ciesla - let me know about your blog!

Melody Smith

Megan Zimmerman said...

ok...pink and purple!!!!!!!!!!! go for bold!!

Unknown said...

I'd go for a bold color as well - how often do we wear a cast? Ok maybe that's not the best question... but still! Take advantage, maybe people will notice it more and be nicer? heh heh