Thursday, April 23, 2009

Ankle and Foot Surgery

Note: The following pictures may be too graphic for some!!

I recently underwent surgery to transfer a tendon in my left ankle. I somehow had managed to injure the posterior tibialis tendon. A year ago, I had a total knee replacement and the ensuing months to recover proved too much for the injured tendon. It continued to fail causing my ankle to roll inward towards the floor. Not fun and very painful! So I had surgery to transfer a tendon from my foot to overlap the existing tendon. They then had to make an incision on the outside of my ankle to realign my heel which had slid towards the outside and was no longer lined up under my toes. After doing that, the ankle was so stiff that it would not move, so they cut into the muscle to get some movement!! I have at least 4 incisions on my foot and they are not pretty!










This last photo shows where I got a blister on the incision. They had to remove it and we have been changing a dressing daily for the last week. I go back to the Dr. tomorrow and will hopefully (or not) be put in a regular cast for anywhere from a few weeks to 2 months. I still cannot put any weight on it. I will then be put into a walking boot for a couple of month to learn to put weight on it and walk again. There will be lots of physical therapy somewhere in there. It will be late July before I recover. Long road, but I am doing okay except for the occasional times when I have a pity party. Thank goodness I have a wonderful husband and family that have taken excellent care of me!!

4 comments:

Zach 'n' Jack said...

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. There, does that make you feel better? Just so you all know.... I took those pictures. You're welcome!

Unknown said...

Hang in there! Hope the physical therapy goes well.

Kate the Great said...

Okay, those are sweet pictures..... When you said gross, I was hoping for something with blood and such.

Nice war wounds. Hope you're feeling better!

The M Family said...

Ouch. That looks painful. I hope it's speedy and you are back on your feet (literally) soon! Hub & Jodie