Sunday, March 30, 2008

Lessons to Learn





This whole remodel business has been a learning experience for me. One of the main things I learned is that things will go wrong. I realized that up front and we had our share of problems. Next, I learned that just when you think it will turn out okay, something else will come up. Nothing is perfect. Then I learned a huge lesson for me. Even though you know there are problems, stay away and let them solve them. I learned that I don't need to stress the things that are going on. They have to be fixed, let them do their job and don't worry about the fact that it went wrong. Just get it fixed. I think this applies to life as well. I need to quit worrying about what goes wrong and just move forward and get it fixed! Last was an interesting one for me. I guess that I am a pleaser. Or I don't want to rock the boat. Whatever! When I didn't like what they had done with the plugs above the cabinets (they showed)I was willing to live with it. I would try to decorate around it. Finally, Reed pointed out to me that we were paying good money for this and they should do it the way I wanted. I do not need to make do, just because I don't want to be a pain or because I don't want to get people mad at me. Hence, the kitchen is NOT done yet. We still are missing 2 cabinet doors, and a shelf. All the plugs are being moved. Those that are at the counter top level were too low. The backsplash hit all the covers, so they have to be moved. The ones above the cabinets have to be lowered, so they are not visible. Consequently, there are holes in my walls. All this need to be patched and repaired and painted. The hard part is that all the cabinets are in! At least I don't have to do it. It is their error, so they have to fix it.
I LOVE my counter tops! I find that I am always rubbing my hands across them. I love the color and an so excited to have it all done.
This weekend we were able to begin moving in. The refridgerator is in along with the stove and dishwasher. The stove and dishwasher are not completely in, but we are able to use them. We are celebrating with brownies tonight!!! I do have to clear everything off the counters tonight and cover them with paper again. Oh the joy of having workers in your home all the time!
Here are a couple of pictures to get you excited!

6 comments:

Melinda said...

wow! i LOVE your kitchen (so far). i love the details on the handles, looks celtic, and the countertops look very inviting. you'll have a lot of workspace now. and the whole room is so open, too! i'm sure you'll all be spending a lot of time in there. peggy, you're such a seminary teacher! finding the lessons in life's bumpy road. good for you. thanks for the helpful reminders let others do their jobs, but also make sure you're happy with it. so can you stop washing dishes in the bathtub yet?
love melinda

ollie said...

YAY!!! It's really coming along!!! I can't wait to come out and visit with the new kitchen some time! It'll be just perfect for you to entertain for us. ;-)

Jessica G said...

Hey if Ollie is coming to visit we will entertain! Bring it on.
Thanks for posting the pics finally! Nice lessons...and it is good to make others fix their jobs. We don't have to always do the adjusting.

Unknown said...

I'm excited!! I can't wait to see!!! I want to touch the countertops too.

Sooo true about the lessons there. I am often in my 'adapted child' which is not wanting anyone to be mad and wanting to mediate and worry about how everyone is doing. I am learning that it's not my job, and it takes away from things I could be working on with myself! And it takes away from the joys of life, I might add. If people are mad, or if they are having issues, it's their problem. Sounds so simple when I type it out. lol Anyway...yeah. That was long. My point is that I can relate.

And 'Booo spam!' (1st comment)

Unknown said...

...brownies.... *drool*

The Barton's said...

Wow the kitchen is amazing. I love it. We want to come visit but will have to see how the gas prices go. Love to all.