Friday, March 14, 2008

Remodel Madness

Sometimes I love how people can just type the way they talk. I am thinking that maybe this is a blond thing. Take Jackie, for instance, part of what is fun about her blogs is that she rambles on paper ( albeit electronic paper)just like she talks. It is random and goes 20 different places at once. It makes me laugh, because she talks JUST like that. Ollie is another one. Tracy is also quite good at it, and then it dawned on me. They are all blond. Do you think that is it? Laugh girls, I am old and senile and allowed to be this way!!

Well we got hit with MAJOR remodel madness over the last couple of weeks. First it was the floor. My lovely tile, that we put in about 5 or 6 years ago is just what I love. The plan was to cut out as little as possible and just replace what was needed. NOT! Tile doesn't stay in fashion that long. First problem was too much tile ended up being destroyed (Okay, they warned us about that one). Problem 2: after finishing our great paint job, they called to say they could not find any matching tile. I had just finished painting colors that expressly matched my tile. Worse news! Our tile happened to be "Italian" tile. Don't get too excited, it was the rage a few years ago until we americans got caught up in tile making, now we make "American" tile. Low and behold, we have different measuring systems (ie, metric versus inches). So while American tile is constructed on 12 or 13 inch tiles, Italian or European tile is done differently. Hence mine is about 12 1/2 inch squares. No matchy!. We were depressed and had actually resigned ourselves to having to rip out the entire floor and start all over again costing us thousands of dollars. But Reed would not be daunted. He went to work on the internet and entered the series name and color of our tile. He found some, but before you get real excited, it was from a catalog and web site that had not been updated since 2001. But we were blessed and they had only one color from the series still at their warehouse and low and behold, it was our color. The floor was saved!

Major problem #2: The appliances arrived and they started to unpack them. The refrigerator was not like I remembered it. Realize that it was months ago that I picked all this stuff out. Then it hit me. There was no water and ice accessable from the door. This may sound trivial, but you must realize that I am going through 3 bags of ice per week during the remodel. Besides, I am old and I want what I want! Okay, so maybe it wasn't MAJOR, but still.

Biggest Major #3: The cabinets are starting to be installed when we notice that there is a BIG space between cabinets and island. Too Big! Somebody measured wrong and the electrical cords and lights in the ceiling are 2 FEET to far into the dining room. That means that the table and bar stools would back into each other, not good. Add on top of this that I have already finished painting and they hinged one of the cabinet doors on the wrong side after I had expressly said which side I wanted it on.

So today they tore up the floor again. Thank goodness they have not done the tile yet. They moved electrical wires in the floor for the island. The ceiling is still to be conquered. The only good news is that I have been told, that I don't have to fix the painting errors and that all costs will be covered by the construction company - not me!!
Here are some updated pictures!


6 comments:

Zach 'n' Jack said...

Alright.....just so you know, you don't sound all that different on your blog either. Remember - redheads are just blonds from hell!! And I know what your hair color REALLY is. Don't make me call up your younger sister. WHOA though, the house looks SO DIFFERENT! I'm sorry for the mess ups; I imagine that can be incredibly frustrating, even if it seems trivial. It looks great though! I can't wait to see it - WOW that one wall (where the door used to be) looks so different! AWESOME!!!

Jessica G said...

Amazing! And Jackie is right...you don't sound all that different. Things do look good and despite the tile floor fiasco the other things were quite easy to fix under the circumstances.

Rebecca said...

You take things amazingly well actually! I am impressed! Just think because of all the hang ups that when it is all finished you will appreciate it even more than you would have had nothing gone wrong! Right?!
Ps. I think you type like you sound in real life. and Jackie...LOVE the redheads are blondes from hell!! Ha Ha! That made my day!

Unknown said...

It's exciting to see things changing and whatnot. I looove that desert rose color, or whatever that was called. It's so pretty.

ollie said...

I would like to clarify that I haven't been a blond since Shane and I were married. My blondies left me long ago........

............ I miss them terribly

Cory CL said...

There's no way that this could be the Peggy Glasmann, (Sister Glasmann) I had as a YW leader in the Norco 2nd Ward? Cory "Cole" Ludvigson here! Just a quick hello. I happened upon you blog through links of my friends. Sort of a six degrees thing. Glad to see all is well with your family! You were a wonderful memorable leader! Keep up the good work!
xoxo
Cory