Sunday, August 28, 2011

CATCH UP

I have been horrible at blogging. I check everyone's blog on a regular basis, but for some reason, I can't motivate myself to do my own.
It has been a really hectic summer. There have been LOTS of ups and downs. Things are finally starting to settle back down and I think I might be able to do this. We shall see.

We started off our summer with Josh returning home. I cannot describe what it was like to finally have my baby back home and be able to talk to him whenever I wanted. He is so fun to have around. He was all smiles as we welcomed him home with EVERYONE of the family at the airport. We had silly signs and a new nephew and niece to welcome him home. His funniest statement on returning home was "Wow, everyone has all their own teeth"!!!!
We took family pictures while everyone was home and had such a fun time.
Poor Josh was only home 5 days before we loaded him up in the car and started driving back east to the beach house. We took 65 hours on the way there. We enjoyed the 4th and gathering with Reed's family to distribute his dad's ashes at sea. Coming home from Delaware we took a week. We headed south and visited Arkansas and the home of Popeye Spinach (in Alma), drove through Missouri and stayed in Oklahoma for a few days. The people that Josh served are such wonderful, humble people. They loved him and I am so grateful to have met many of them and seen the love that they have for my son.
Then we continued our journey into Rocky Mountain National Park, Utah and finally home. I cried when I saw the Cascades. They are such beautiful mountains. In the words of Josh, they are REAL mountains. Jackie and her boys spent a lot of time with us at the farm this summer as Zach concentrated on collecting data and working on research for his doctorate. Reed and I headed out again for Utah to meet up with his family for the final distribution of ashes. We are now home and don't plan on going anywhere - until the latter half of September. But I will enjoy my time here.
I have been so busy helping my dad move a couple of times and now we are full on into canning. This week I have canned fresh tuna and green beans. There are more beans to go and then it will be peaches and tomatoes. I love filling up the pantry and storing up food. You never know what the future will hold.
This next weekend will find us down at the cabin, painting and hopefully relaxing. After such a busy summer, I need it.

The family at the beach!!
The grandkids at the beach!!


EVERYONE together at home.

2 comments:

Grammy Staffy said...

Dear Peggy,
I am so glad that you are back to blogging again. I love keeping up with you and your darling family. Wow.... you really did a lot of traveling over the summer. I bet that you are worn out... but happy with all the memories you collected along the way. How nice that you could visit your son's mission area and meet people to knew and loved him.

I am sending hugs and smiles your way. . I wish that I were there and could do some canning with you. I got only a hand full of tomatoes this year and nothing else... so there was no canning here. Of course I couldn't have done it anyway so it all works out. I am getting better day by day. I appreciate your love and support.

Have a great week. Hugs, Lura

Kris said...

You have been a busy beaver. Sounds like you had a wonderful family summer. Josh is home already? It goes fast when it is someone else's son. What is he going to do now?
Are Reed's dad's ashes being strewn all over the country?
Your family is beautiful.
You are canning fresh tuna? Did someone go fishing? My goodness, Peggy you are a hard worker. I would love to see your pantry when you are done.'
Where is your dad moving?