Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Newest Baby on the Block

Our newest little granddaughter has arrived. Little Katarina was born on Oct. 10. She weighed in at 6lb. 13 3/4 oz. She was about 3 weeks early, but Virginia was induced due to pre-eclampsia. Things were pretty bad for Virginia, but she was a real sport about it and there were many miracles associated with the labor and delivery. We don't know why all of it happened, but Mom and baby are doing really good. Katie is showing all the signs of being early, but she has responded well this last week or so. I am waiting now for an update. Reed and I were so blessed to be included and to witness her arrival into the world. It is something to behold to witness the birth of a child. I have never been on the witnessing end unless I was the mother delivering, so this was a special moment and I am grateful that Jayme and Virginia let us be a part of it.

Jayme has been a wonderful dad and father. It is kind of fun to watch a son come into this role. Virginia is a natural and seems so comfortable as a mom. Even in the middle of the night when she got frustrated, it was so calm. I was impressed. I loved being there and being able to help what little I could after they came home. Holding this tiny little one is such a sweet feeling. I love being a grandma. I just love all my sweet little ones - even though some of them are getting quite old.

Thanks to Norma for having Josh up for a visit. I am so glad that there is someone close for him to connect with that is family. It sure helps - me especially.

I am still trying to get into a routine. With the birth of the baby and subbing at the school this last week was pretty tiring and now the computer is on the fritz. I am so grateful for family and grateful for all those little young uns!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

They're calling her 'Katie' for short? Awww. :D I'm so happy for them.

Melinda said...

that is SO wonderful! i'm very happy for jayme and virginia. they're going to be great parents. i'm also glad you got to be there, peggy. it's a very touching experience watching a birth. so emotional, difficult and miraculous.

ephraim and i were just laughing that reed would be on the list of people i WOULDN'T want in the delivery room --he'd be cracking jokes the whole time like about salad tong forceps and toilet plunger suction devices. actually maybe that would be good to lighten things up. i'm sure he behaved himself. and i know for a fact that he's a top-notch grandpa, so little katie is lucky to have all of you, and you're lucky to have her. congratulations!

p.s. if you're interested in a samoan adventure, you're invited to come to the birth of our #3 in april!

The Barton's said...

OOOH she is so cute. These are some of the things that go on that I miss out on. Congrats to all and we love you a ton. I tried to call but I know you are so busy.